[kictanet] Will SA recoup the investment

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Thu Jun 24 13:32:21 EAT 2010

Per-Erick,

Blaming the Greek situation on the hosting of the olympics is a little too much, there are other factors reponsible of which the Olympics is minute. The South African situation may be a little different in that, the Worldcup generate alot of supply and demand (stimulus) which allowed them to minimise the effect of the global meltdown. The validity of your question is in the timing, "would they feel the meltdown in the future" especially given that they are not getting the anticipated returns from the worldcup?

You know, hosting the wholdcup is like "infrastructure", the investments you make into infrastructure see their return on the services that you are able to spin out of the infrastructure so i think it all depends on the services (tourism, trade, cohesion, etc) they are able to spin off during and more importantly after the Worldcup. This is not a given because remember they have had some challenges with power as well so the devil is as always in the detail.

I must join you in commending our SA brothers and sister for hosting a galant global theatre and i reckon that "actually, this world cup hosted in Africa is going to be the most unpredictable event in the history of the game. I tag it "the all things are possible" world cup....

Good day.

On 24 Jun 2010, at 05:54, Per-erick Mulamba wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are in the middle of the World Cup which so far its thumps up for SA on how they have organized it.
> They have spend over 4trillions to get it to where it is and the expected return is less than 1trillion. Greece are broke cause of hosting Olympics will we be seeing another repeat of Greece on the African continent and if it happens are we prepared?
>
> I believe the impact will be felt in 2 to 3 years from now.
>
> Regards
> Per-Erick

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Director