[kictanet] The urgent case for a Regional Internet Exchange Point (RIXP)

muriuki mureithi mureithi at summitstrategies.co.ke
Thu Jun 3 14:42:29 EAT 2010

As we look for  technical solutions , it is important to think about the
policy and regulatory framework that will make the technical solution easier
to implement . all the regional economic communities in Africa  established
a formal organ to deal with ICT matters and have formulated elaborate
measures to harmonise and integrate network and services   because of the
importance of ICT in socio economic integration. That is not the case for
EAC, instead  EACO is club of the regulators/ operators  for sharing
experiences , it is not part of EAC. The EAC secretariat has limited
capacity to drive ICT matters. That's why  cross border ICT initiatives are
private sector  driven which is okay but they are limited . for example
Zain's ONE network is not operating in Rwanda and Burundi  and Kama Kawaida
is not operational in Burundi . other companies have to struggle to
establish seamless cross border networks /operations. Perhaps this will be
addressed by the commitments that EAC countries have made in the EAC Common
Market treaty  to open up the market from July 1st, 2010.  All countries
have committed to open their  telecom market without reservations and offer
equal treatment to entities from the other partners to invest . Only Rwanda
has limited the number of cellular licences to max 3 citing its market size.

Cheers

MM