[kictanet] my concerns

Wamuyu Gatheru wamuyulearn at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 13:22:35 EAT 2010

Anne,
I think the proposed Constitution, on any issue of particular interest to any
Kenyan, can provoke concern. My issue for example is Executive/Presidential
control. I note for example that although freedom of information is provided for
as a right, no legislation has been prescribed. As I mentioned earlier, the
President will still have a free hand with the police. However, when I step back
and look at the broad thrust of the document particularly on the separation of
powers in the arms of government (and the independent Commissions), I conclude
that overall the President will have to be a lot more accountable than he is
today. So I prefer not to look over, around, under, within, between and behind
clauses to confirm my fears of dictatorship.

On homosexual relationships I think the Committee of Experts was clear that they
cannot legislate matters where there is wide disagreement in Kenyan society.
Although the homosexual community and rights advocates may have tried and will
try in the future to legalise gay marriages, the Committee unequivocally took
the position of the majority. However, the Committee is clear that no one should
be discriminated against or persecuted for any reason - including homosexuality.
Homosexuals are human beings too and we do not want to see them bloodied by
extremists and other fundamentalist people.

Please note, as with abortion, no society can legislate against these things.
When one has an abortion or keeps a same sex partner, it does not infringe on
the rights of anyone else. So the choice is a private matter that laws for or
against can do little to change.

As a Christian, I will be happy to see more more faith, prayer and love and less
activism in our Christian community. Those are the primary tools for us in
creating the societies we seek. The law however important can never be our
primary tool. We should also be equally outraged by extreme poverty, inequality
and corruption that the proposed Constitution is trying to eliminate - I find
that we Christians are overly interested in sexual sins more than other sins.

regards,
Wamuyu