[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 7 of 8 Theme:E-Crime, Online Privacy & Data Security- Continuation

Sam Gatere sam.gatere at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:38:43 EAT 2010

Listeners,

I think the first thing would be to commend the innovation we are
experiencing in our country. Who would have thought we would have such great
ICT solutions today. Just two years ago you could not check about your voter
registration credentials by sending a text message! (now to 3007), or get
yellow pages access from 5991! We all agree that this comes with it's
security limitations but this should be viewed as an opportunity to build
secure systems that our government can benefit from. If we push it back to
government the process of securing public online privileged information may
take too long to get done. This now opens a new avenue for the private
sector and perhaps a joint venture with government to build this secure
systems we desire.

In my humble view we should not be asking the question why this or why that
but how can we make this better and more secure!

On E-crime in Kenya I think this is a growing concern because typical
e-crime would happen over the internet, accessed via  a computer. In our
situation internet access is mostly on the go. (On your hand held) You have
access to your virtual bank (MPesa, MKesho, Zap, Yu Cash and others) and
real bank. Should this interaction be compromised huge losses would follow.
I have not yet heard of any groups or persons who have successfully
compromised this systems but it's only a matter of time. However there are
other forms of e-crime that is happening in the country where people
harassed through their mobile phone or social networking sites. For more
information on the local situation contact Alice on the forum to get access
to the cyber crime against women in Kenya report.

Sammy.