[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 3 of 8 Theme : Infrastructure Issues - Impact of the Unified Licensing Model IGF Mailing List Discussions

Grace Bomu nmutungu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:10:21 EAT 2010

Unified Licensing without adequate consumer protection laws is not the best
situation because with the freedom to offer converged services licensees are
prone to practise unfair trade and uncompetitive pricing. This is exactly
the situation in Kenya with strong the telecos/ GSM companies practising
monopoly. We definately need the anti-competition and consumer protection
regulations that were consultatively discussed by multiple stakeholders but
shelved after gazettement to be implemented.

On 9 July 2010 11:59, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lord Mwesh :-)
>
> Good question, it seems like this is a very tough subject based on the
> limited responses that we are receiving, it might be an indicator to the
> regulator that more needs to be done in terms of awareness on the new
> License, i saw an interesting discussion on another list where a Telco was
> being blamed for taking over everything, i found the discussion to be
> misplaced since they are taking advantage of the provisions in the new
> licensing model, the question is whos responsibility is it to educate the
> Mwananchi and local businessmen who feel they are losing out...any take on
> this from seasoned experts MM?
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM, lordmwesh <lordmwesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's true that the Unified Licensing Model will stiffen up competition
>> on telecommunication companies which in turn will spur growth in the
>> sector and thus give end users more choices.
>>
>> My concern is, will the government loose the revenue it gets by
>> issuing single licenses? Will the small players in the industry afford
>> the license fees for unified licenses?
>>
>> Regards
>> Mwendwa
>>
>> --