[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 3 of 8 Theme : Infrastructure Issues - Impact of the Unified Licensing Model IGF Mailing List Discussions

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:59:11 EAT 2010

Lord Mwesh :-)

Good question, it seems like this is a very tough subject based on the
limited responses that we are receiving, it might be an indicator to the
regulator that more needs to be done in terms of awareness on the new
License, i saw an interesting discussion on another list where a Telco was
being blamed for taking over everything, i found the discussion to be
misplaced since they are taking advantage of the provisions in the new
licensing model, the question is whos responsibility is it to educate the
Mwananchi and local businessmen who feel they are losing out...any take on
this from seasoned experts MM?

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM, lordmwesh <lordmwesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's true that the Unified Licensing Model will stiffen up competition
> on telecommunication companies which in turn will spur growth in the
> sector and thus give end users more choices.
>
> My concern is, will the government loose the revenue it gets by
> issuing single licenses? Will the small players in the industry afford
> the license fees for unified licenses?
>
> Regards
> Mwendwa

Barrack O. Otieno