[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:43:27 EAT 2010

Dear McTim,

thank you, for youre insightful thoughts.....

if I read you correct....is that Kenya is where it is regarding to IPV6,
because of lack of Knowledge or Capacity?

e.g we do have engineers- so that shouldn't be the reason why SA is ahead of
us in terms of deployment, right?

Kind Regards,

 On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM, lordmwesh <lordmwesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Policy on IPV6 would come in handy.
>
> We have a Pan-African IPv6 policy.  You can read it here:
>
> http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2004-v6-001.htm
>
>  Assume that one day we wake up, and
> > there are no more public IPV4 to allocate, yet our companies and
> government
> > agencies are stuck with IPV4 hardware.
>
> Unless their kit is like 15 years old, then this is not the case.  All
> *Nix boes, Apple, and Windows (NT and after IIRC) are v6 ready.
>
> It's the CPEs/home routers that we need to be concerned about.  Many
> are not v6 compatible.  Doesn't matter where you are in the world.
>
>  According to AFRINIC, we only have
> > like 370 days to exhaustion of IPV4.
>
> Well, what does that mean? It means that IANA will have no more /8s of
> v4 to allocate to RIRs.  AfriNIC will have v4 for at least another
> year after that.
>
> > @Barrack, you are right by calling us names "A copy paste society" J. But
> > don’t forget the East achieved innovation and growth by first realizing
> that
> > "imitate then innovate" is just as good. Ask Tata motors who now own big
> > brands like Land Rover.
>
> TATA also run SEACOM and have a PoP in KE.
>
> > Congratulations to the relevant Kenyan Ministries of Technology which
> have
> > really endeavored to be being abreast with changing trends in the tech
> field
> > despite the many challenges we face. On innovation, our universities and
> > institutes have outdates labs, and teach outdated subject that were copy
> > pasted some years back from the west. Solutions to these problems have to
> be
> > found.
>

> KENET is implementing v6 across its network, no?
>

> > As much as Muchuki has put a good effort in explaining the update of IPV6
> in
> > Kenya, we are far behind our Brothers in South Africa as shown
> > http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?country=za
>
> as expected..they are a bigger market and have more engineers to do
> things like deploy v6.
>

> > Early adoption of IPV6 would help us learn and get experience on the
> various
> > services and innovation that we can implement on the new IP scheme.
>
> "early adoption" would have been done a decade ago.
>
>  We don’t
> > want to be struggling with implementing IPV6 systems decades down the
> line
> > after the west are comfortably using theirs.
>
> Not to worry, the West will implement v6 pole pole, just like KE.
>
>  Michuki put it correctly, we
> > need the experience of using the new scheme, not just the theory we learn
> in
> > Cisco classes. And experience can only be achieved by implementation
>
> that's right, have you dual stacked your network? Maybe we should have
> [...]

“To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and
what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”
Kofi Annan