[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 04:23:41 EAT 2010

Hi Judy,

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Judy Okite <judyokite at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> As we continue with our online discussions, I would like to remind you that
> you can still post your belated remarks on the previous themes, just
> remember to click on the right subject/title.
>
> For the next two days (Thursday & Friday) we will be looking at Critical
> Internet Resources, Kenya perspective:
>
> 1)  DNSSEC
>
> Definition:  introduces security at the infrastructure level through a
> hierarchy of cryptographic signatures attached to the DNS records.  Users
> are assured that the source of the data is verifiably the stated source, and
> the mapping of name to IP address is accurate.
>

> The stability, reliability and security of DNS data is paramount to any Top
> level domain (TLD)
>

> In non- technical terms, what is in it for Kenya? why should we discuss it?

There is nothing in it for Kenya that does not hold true for Internet
users from other nations. I really don't understand why we try to use
a nation state POV in Internet Governance, it is not at all helpful
IMHO.

We should discuss it to make folk aware that it is there if they
should choose to use it, but also to make them aware that if it is not
implemented, then we are just using the current "vanilla" DNS.  Some
have thought that if the root zone is signed AND we do NOT implement
DNSSEC, then we will be "offline".

> 2)      IPV6 –
>
> Definition: is the culmination of over a decade's worth of work, mainly
> inspired by the IPV4 address exhaustation  and is designed to enable the
> global expansion of the Internet.(http://www.afrinic.net/IPv6/)
>
>  I would like us to delve into IPV6, discussions from two perspectives:
>
> a)      Regulatory-
>
> Last year, there was a suggestion that KEBS or KRA should ensure that no
> hardware or software should be allowed into the country that is not IPV6
> compliant.
>
> Any updates on that? Who should be in-charge?

I am of the opinion that if a person or org wants to live in a v4
world, then a nation state sholdn't preclude them from doing that.
Having said that, I think it would be useful to point out that most
(if not all) kit imported (new and used) is either v6 ready or with a
few software changes, can be made v6 ready.

> b)      How prepared are we (Kenya) any statistics?

http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?country=ke

Looks Like SafCom was routing their v6 for a day.

> Are there any benefits?
> What are they?

with zero customer demand, it's hard to push a service.

> In short the challenges and milestone.

Challenge:

I challenge all listers to ask for native v6 service from their provider.

Milestone:

When everyone on this list has turned on Ipv6 on their Windows
machines AND gotten a (free) IPv6 tunnel from a tunnel broker service,
that will be a real Milestone.  I did both of those things ~7 years
ago.  It's really not rocket science.

--
Cheers,

McTim