[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 4 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 02:48:59 EAT 2010

Greetings All,

As we continue with our online discussions, I would like to remind you that
you can still post your belated remarks on the previous themes, just
remember to click on the right subject/title.

For the next two days (Thursday & Friday) we will be looking at Critical
Internet Resources, Kenya perspective:

1)  DNSSEC

Definition:  introduces security at the infrastructure level through a
hierarchy of cryptographic signatures attached to the DNS records.  Users
are assured that the source of the data is verifiably the stated source, and
the mapping of name to IP address is accurate.

The stability, reliability and security of DNS data is paramount to any Top
level domain (TLD)

In non- technical terms, what is in it for Kenya? why should we discuss it?

2)      IPV6 –

Definition: is the culmination of over a decade's worth of work, mainly
inspired by the IPV4 address* exhaustation  *and is designed to enable the
global expansion of the Internet.(http://www.afrinic.net/IPv6/)

 I would like us to delve into IPV6, discussions from two perspectives:

a)      Regulatory-

Last year, there was a suggestion that KEBS or KRA should ensure that no
hardware or software should be allowed into the country that is not IPV6
compliant.

Any updates on that? Who should be in-charge?

b)      How prepared are we (Kenya) any statistics? Are there any benefits?
What are they?

In short the challenges and milestone.

 I hope that our responses will  put Solomon’s mind to rest,  as he
rightfully asked on day 1:

“One thing that I struggle to understand is IPV6. There are a number of
essentials that will help the society fully migrate and adapt the IPV6
equipment. One thing that beats logic is how does one really know an
equipment is IPV6 compliant? I posit this question because it emerged that
all the so-called digital television in Kenya were not digital after all! “

Your thoughts, inputs, querries, comments, corrections are most welcome!

Kind Regards,

--
“To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and
what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”