[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 2 of 8 Theme : Infrastructure Issues - Impact of the Fibre Optic Cable IGF Mailing List Discussions

Solomon Mburu Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 17:15:39 EAT 2010

One of the views in regards to the undersea cables, is realistically
speaking, the current situation. As Walu pointed out, all users of
.com have been affectedby the effects of Seacom's state of affairs.

This is perhaps one of the many reasons as to why the Undersea Cables
were a 'mess' from the word go. It beats logic why the breakdown or
whatever has not been restored to its full capacity, as we speak.
Could there be sabotage?

Back to your query: The socio-economioc impact of the cables.
1. They are anticipated to open more job opportunities (BPO, E-stuff)
2. They would generally improve the economic and security of countries
thus enhancing interdepence and social closeness.
3. The most notable impact, in my view, was the momentus speed that
would usher quick businesses thus economic growth.

The youth would have benefitted greatly considering that they
constitute to the majority of workforce. In such a view, growth in
countries where the cables pass would be great, maybe +10% p.a.
The value addition, as of now, remains to be seen!