[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 2 of 8 Theme : Infrastructure Issues - Impact of the Fibre Optic Cable IGF Mailing List Discussions

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 10:56:58 EAT 2010

Dear Listers,

Apologies for starting the thread late and thanks to all those who responded
actively on the first day, the thread is still open. Today we look at
Infrastructure issues, a quick glance through last years report brings to
mind the Pomp that greeted the TEAMS and SEACOM initiative, one year down
the line, it would only be good to review the milestones we have made this
far, going through an earlier discussion on this list, i noted an
interesting article posted by listers that mentioned the fact that the
undersea cable has led to a boom in Spam coming from the this region, the
study was conducted by Symantec, i know this is just a tip of the ICEBERG
and would like to look at the issue from a Social perspective as well as an
economic perspective, are there real (tangible benefits) that the cables
have brought or is it euphoria, do we have indicators that show how the
country has benefited?, what do the various consituencies have to say?
Consumer advocates, Youth Representatives, the Private Sector?..the
discussion is open

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+41767892272