[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 1 of 8 Theme : Review of the 2009 IGF Mailing List Discussions

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:01:25 EAT 2010

To add some fluff to the opening remarks, the Internet Governance Forum (
www.intgovforum.org) has held 4 Global summits since its inception, the last
one being in Sharm El Sheikh where Kenya was ably represented. The Summits
have deliberated on Management and Governance of the Internet Security,
Critical Internet Resources, Internet Access among other issues. Some of the
key achievements realised nationally include.
Raising awaress and Capacity Building
Hosting of the IGF meeting which for the first time included Members of
Parliament from the UK and all East African Countries
Discourse on IG issues on the KICTANet Mailing list.
It is important to note that the number of stakeholders interested in IG
discussions has grown over time, one peculiar issue is the absence of a
strong voice from young people who are a major stakeholder and consumer of
internet products and services, it appears that the youth are more
interested in the technical aspects as opposed to policy and regulatory
issues which in itself is a worrying trend that needs to be revised, the
question to be answered however is how can the Youth and Children voices be
heard?, we have had interesting initiatives over the past one year by ICWE
Africa and a number of NGOs to address the issues of child security on the
internet, which is a great milestone, there was a proposal to have local
capacity building sessions which must have stalled, probably Walu could give
us an idea at what is going on at the Multimedia University or Strathmore
which had been identified as centres.

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+41767892272