[kictanet] FW: Mozambique ICT policy should move towards increased digital inclusion, says Panos London

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Thu Jul 1 17:13:34 EAT 2010

This may be of interest

________________________________
From: Panos London [mailto:Panos.London at panos.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:16 PM
Subject: Mozambique ICT policy should move towards increased digital inclusion, says Panos London

Dear Sir/Madam,

A new review of Mozambique's policies for digital inclusion reveals that while some progress has been made, it has a long way to go before achieving widespread and effective use of ICTs.

The policy brief, based on a research report prepared by the Eduardo Mondlane University Informatics Centre (CIUEM), was commissioned by international development charity Panos London and funded by the Open Society Institute for Southern Africa (OSISA). It is the first in a series of Panos London briefs to boost debate on the future of ICT policy in the Southern Africa region as part of the Thetha ICT Forum Project. It was recently launched at a workshop jointly organised by Panos London and CIUEM in Maputo, to which media practitioners, policy makers and civil society organisations were invited.

The attached Panos London brief is a vital resource for anyone interested in the issues around ICT development in Mozambique. It summarises the successes and weaknesses of policy and implementation to date, reviews the challenges, opportunities and priorities for digital inclusion in Mozambique today and makes recommendations to update the policy to best serve the needs of Mozambicans.

Big strides have been taken since the introduction of the ICT policy in 2000. For example, infrastructure developments have ensured that citizens have better access to mobile networks and the internet, and community multimedia centres have been established.

However, work needs to focus on making these policies fit for purpose and reaching the very people ICTs need to serve. The infrastructure is in place and the focus should shift towards increasing the capability to use ICT, availability of services, the financial resources to pay for use and increased citizen participation in policy formulation.

Panos London believes that communication is at the heart of development. Mozambique's experience offers pointers for other African governments and organisations concerned to maximise the value of ICTs within development.

I hope that you find this Panos London brief provides an essential insight into the progress of ICT development in Mozambique, and we would welcome your feedback.

If you require any further information then please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Best wishes,

Murali Shanmugavelan
Programme Manager, Information Society
Panos London
murali.shanmugavelan at panos.org.uk
tel. +44 (0)20 7239 7608

info at panos.org.uk<mailto:info at panos.org.uk>

PANOS LONDON | ILLUMINATING VOICES
Promoting dialogue, debate and change

Communication: At the heart of change<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFn2Loim9Q> - Panos London's new animated film explains why access to information and communication plays an essential role in sustainable development
Register online to receive email updates and to access special web features
www.panos.org.uk/register<http://www.panos.org.uk/register>

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of Panos London unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system and do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. While we make every effort to keep our network free from viruses, you need to verify that this email and any attachments are virus-free, as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which may be transferred by way of them.

Panos London is registered in England as a charity (charity number: 297366) and a company limited by guarantee (company number: 1937340) under the name Panos London with its registered office at 9 White Lion Street, London, N1 9PD, UK. Tel + 44 (20) 7278 1111 Fax: +44 (20) 7278 0345. Email: info at panos.org.uk<mailto:info at panos.org.uk> Web: www.panos.org.uk<http://www.panos.org.uk>