[kictanet] The broadband mess in Kenya - and I’m so angry

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 15:37:51 EAT 2010

Walu,

I disagree with you, as Dr. Ndemo has said before policy follows implementation how can you have police what does not exist.

3G, 4G or 10G has no value if we have not exhausted the 1G & 2G, technology for technologies sake unfortunately is not the solution to our problems.  I hate having to watch my bandwidth traffic meter when downloading mail from my local ISP because someone is trying to recover a 3G license fee by charging me by the meg.

We cried about highspeed internet now that the cables have landed we are looking for new scapegoats.  I wish I can get fixed rate service for local connectivity which is what I need to be able to provide my clients with cost effective WAN solutions.  It is scary when it is cheaper to connect from Nairobi to New York than from Nairobi to Mombasa.

So, lets stop creating new scapegoats and concentrate our energies on issues that have a direct impact on us locally.

It is shocking that your so called GPRS, 2G & 3G operators are unable to provide a reliable and dependable VPN within their network, or cry my believed country.

Robert Yawe

KAY System Technologies Ltd

Phoenix House, 6th Floor

P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200