[kictanet] Update on ICDL and foreign certifications for basiccomputer usage

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Mon Jan 11 12:30:22 EAT 2010

Dear Robert - I was tring to lie low on this because generally
end-user licensing is not a priority for us or our international
affiliates. I will need to visit the PS to get better information
to see if we can add some value. He has the bigger picture of
what he is trying to achieve so first I will give that a listen.
However the fee of 24,000/= paid to a private organization
certainly appears an exorbitant figure to charge poor Kenyans
simply to prove they can use a computer. A bigger debate that I
could also raise is whether the whole thing is necessary at this
point in time given that computer use is getting intuitive with
better user interfaces (including point and click GUIs which have
been around now for decades) , improved input devices/methodology
(e.g. instruct a computer with voice commands or even body
movements). Already, for many, convergence has meant "computer"
is the same device as their mobile phone or their television set.
It has to be clearer to me also how licensing users will work,
that is, what is the enforcement mechanism and what are the
sanctions for those using the computers without the license?
Kind Regards,
Waudo

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 06:00 +0000, "robert yawe"