[kictanet] State Wrong on Internet Exchange Point , is it true

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Fri Jan 8 09:53:09 EAT 2010

Robert,

robert yawe wrote:
> Thanks for the graph, since you are being transparent can you provide us
> with additional information that will give us some confidence that KIXP
> but meet the demands of keeping local traffic local.
>
> - Maximum throughput achievable

Maximum throughput is subject to far too many factors that you need to
provide me with specifics i.e between which two points?. If its between
two ISPs then its subject to the link capacity they both have to the
KIXP. If ISP A has a 10Mbps link to KIXP and ISP B has a 1mbps link to
KIXP what do you presume the max throughput will be?.

However, the KIXP infrastructure can support in excess of 3Gbps of
traffic. Remember its layer 2 switching and nothing else.

> - Services allowed to peer

Peering is not IP service based - please refer my previous emails.
Peering is based on IP prefixes (using BGP) and not protocols. KIXP
provides a layer 2 service and not a layer 3 service.

> - Capacity of each member to the exchange point

Let me explain how the KIXP works. Each ISP (peering member) has a
router physically located at the KIXP. This router has to interfaces.
One interface is connected to the KIXP Switch (ethernet port) the second
interface is connected to the infrastructure provider of choice (can be
serial,ethernet, fiber etc) and links back to a router located in their
respective office/pop.

The KIXP Switch port has 3 configurations 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1Gbps.
Each peering member selects their port of choice based on their needs.

The same decision is applied when they (each ISP) engage an
infrastructure provider to lease the circuit/link back to their
respective office/pop

Therefore the information on the capacity of each member to the exchange
point is information that KIXP may be privy to by virtual of our trust
relationship with our members. Its however not information thats KIXP
will keep in its records. Consequently, we cannot disclose this
information unless we have express permission by our members to do so.

Since you have access to the list of members at the KIXP, and are
interested to know what the capacity of each members is, please contact
them am certain they will be more helpful.

On the average the link capacities start from 512Kbps to 1Gbps. We dont
have requests for 10Gbps but we are planning on having Switch port
support that available in the near future.

> - Redundancy in the event of failure

 - Power backup is 14hrs (battery system),
 - backup switches
 - backup route-servers (each member peers with two route-servers)
 - redundant cooling
 - Alternative peering location from primary location

Most importantly should the KIXP fail completely since everything is on
BGP (a dynamic routing protocol) it defaults to the next best path
available to reach the network.

Please note that the ISPs links back to their offices will fail often
enough. As such, BGP protocol that runs for all members will realise
this and converge to the best alternative route without any human
interference. The convergence takes place in under 30 seconds.

You are welcome to visit the facility to verify this at your convenience.

> - Burst capability.

This is not a service that can be provided at layer 2. As a result its
not a feature available at KIXP.

Regards,

Michuki.