[kictanet] Vandalism menace

Kevin wanjalak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 17:49:53 EAT 2010

Jevans,

I totally agree with you. I think to answer Dr. Ndemo's question, why not
classify the fiber optic infrastructure as "Critical National Communication
Infrastructure" and make vandalism a capital offence without the option of a
fine. in the same vein, IP network providers should work together to defend
the infrastructure as one entity and jointly safeguard the multi-billion
shilling investment instead of fighting media wars for individual benefit.

A joint national anti-vandalism education campaign would be a good start.
Not all fiber vandals in the rural and urban areas understand the risk of
their actions, especially since they don't see how the fiber crossing their
village is benefiting them directly. For all they know, it only serves the
rich people living in the towns where the fiber is heading. Villagers need
to own the fiber. How?

1. By fiber companies ensuring that there are digital centres in the
villages where the fiber is passing for villagers to see its benefits (just
like power cables;cut power cables in village= no power=darkness,no TV=no
development).

2. Establishing a fiber police unit!

Any other suggestions good people??