[kictanet] Safaricom partners with KPLC to expand its datafootprint

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:22:57 EAT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Michael Joseph <MJoseph at safaricom.co.ke>wrote:

>  KPLC invited all licensed operators to bid for the rights to access the
> surplus pairs in the cable. A reserve price was set for both leased and IRU
> models. A number of operators responded and so far only 3 have signed
> contracts – Safaricom, Wananchi and Jamii Telecom.
>

> There is no exclusivity as can be seen.

This is great news, thanks very much for the clarification.

I wish the author of the piece had mentioned this, as well as the reserve
prices, which would be useful to know.

This is a more thorough treatment of the story:

http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=62171

I do not know which operators did not bid but I do know that other operators
> are still in talks with KPLC. Safaricom have only taken 1 pair out of the 12
> available.

or 18 if you believe the above link. ;-/

--
Cheers,

McTim