[kictanet] [NVK-Mageuzi] Is Singapore a Model Worth Emulating – Or Who Is? (was Honouring the man who linked Kenya to world.)

Shem Ochuodho shemochuodho at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 20:21:27 EAT 2010

Nd. Rogers & Visioners,

Firstly, sincere apologies for a delayed reversal; this came at a time we were
in the nick of things stitching things together for the Kisumu Reunion, and at
the same time recovering from the marathon GoSS/CTO conference in Juba.

Having said that, I want to reiterate the importance of paying a close look at
the Singapore Model! This belief was even more fortified when Dr Seroney
yesterday shared with us the Singaporean Experience (being not far from Fiji
where he is based), and more so the fact that despite being a ‘tiny’ island (the
size of Mombasa: I don’t know!), Singapore is perhaps the world’s 3rd or 4th
strongest economy (fastest growing? Per capita? GDP/GNP? The Economists can tell
us). I am reminded of a study we had to take for the Ethiopian Govt about 3
years ago. Initially, some of the countries picked for comparative study were
South Africa, India, Egypt, Kenya, Malaysia, Mauritius and Rwanda. The first
thing I learnt was not to mix Egypt with Ethiopia; they are archrivals. At the
time, the population of Ethiopia was either 76m or 80m depending on your source.
Egypt’s population then was quoted at 78m; for the ‘patriotic’, Ethiopia’s had
to be 80m to be Africa’s 2nd most-populous country after Nigeria!!

But more fundamentally, one of the people I was answerable to told me point
blank: “Rwanda and Mauritius are such tiny economies that there is little to
learn from them!”. And he meant it! As to whether he was right or wrong I leave
to each person’s judgment. Yet one thing that I can say and reminds me of when
in the same year a grouping of over 200 young Kenyan professionals invited me to
Naivasha for a retreat and gave me as Guest Speaker the topic ‘Is Kenya a Failed
State?’ May response was the same thing I would have told the Et officer
concerned: “If you asked me if Rwanda or Mauritius (or Singapore by extension –
despite being ‘tiny’) are failed states, I would know what to answer because
neither/none of them is. But if you asked me if Kenya (or Ethiopia by extension)
are/is, I am not sure what I would answer because they are both pretty much on
the verge of failed states, but not yet.” Indeed, the current on-goings and
confusion on the national stage have strengthened even the more my resolve to so
believe. The far and short of it: a country’s greatness is not necessarily in
its geographic size – or even population. It is more in its wealth, knowledge,
power to innovate, and LEADERSHIP (as Nd. Rogers says very well).

Courtesy of Nd. Jared Oluoch in the US, I am almost completing reading the Book
by Father of Modern-Day Singapore, Dr Lee Kuan Yew (Former Prime Minister):
Singapore - From Third World to First (one may add ‘in 30 years’). In an article
recently by Visioner Donald Kipkorir, he talked about Singapore, Rwanda and
Turkey as models, and argued how Turkey’s Leadership turned the country around
in a span of 10 years! Nd Seroney yesterday informed us of how President
Mutharika turned Malawi’s Agricultural/Food sector around in just one year
(where he once worked; he currently advises 17 Ministries of Health in the
Pacific, yet Kenyan Health Minister can’t have time just for tea with him)! Some
of you may recall that just in one year of Malawi’s Govt’s policy change to
subsidize implements to farmers, the country moved from huge food
insecurity/deficit to surplus. We were informed that last year when we faced
food shortage, Malawi ‘donated’ some food/corn to Kenya! What shame, if true!

The one thread of argument – and which appears true in most the success cases
cited is some degree of benevolence/selflessness and dictatorship aka
‘benevolent dictatorship’. Dictators even Kenya can have in plenty; what’s a far
shot is the latter attribute: benevolence and selflessness.

Even just from a few sample sub-titles of Lee Kuan Yew’s book, it is a
compelling must-read:-

i)              Getting the basics right
ii)             Building an army from scratch
iii)            Surviving without a hinterland
iv)            Winning over the [trade] unions
v)             A fair, not welfare, state
vi)            Straddling the middle ground
vii)           Nurturing and attracting talent – [one of the parts I like most]
viii)          Many tongues, one language
ix)            Keeping the government clean
x)             Greening Singapore
xi)            Managing the media
xii)           Conductor of an Orchestra
xiii)          ASEAN – Unpromising start, promising future
xiv)         Following Britain into Europe
xv)          The Soviet Union – An Empire implodes
xvi)         America – The Anticommunist Anchorman
xvii)        Taiwan – The Other China
xviii)       China – The Dragon with a long tail
xix)         China beyond Beijing
xx)          China: To be rich is glorious

His candidness – even when he talks about living world power presidents he
encountered is unrivalled. The following words of sample world leaders who
commented on the book and author say it all:-

“In office, I read and analyzed every speech of [Lee’s]. He had a way of
penetrating fog of propaganda and expressing with unique clarity the issues of
our times and the way to tackle them. He was never wrong.”Margaret Thatcher

“There are two equalizers in life: the Internet and education. Lee Kuan Yew is a
world leader who understands this and is using the power of the Internet to
position Singapore for survival and success in the Internet economy.”John
Chambers, President & CEO, Cisco Systems

“This is a personal history of a man who, almost single-handedly built a great
nation from a small island… this is the first textbook in the world on how to
build a nation.” Kuchi Miyazawa, Finance Minister, Japan [Perhaps someone should
right a rebuttal on Kenya on ‘how not to build a nation’. In the earlier years –
about 10 ago, UK was used by some as an example of ‘how not to build
e-government’. I guess it has since changed.]

“Lee Kuan Yew’s vision, astute political judgment, and strategy turned Singapore
from a trading post into the successful thriving nation that it is today,
respected by others. For those interested in politics and economic development,
his memoirs should be required reading.” Tun Daim Zainuddin, Malaysian Finance
Minister.

Having served GoR (Rwanda), and now Nd. Rogers confirms – Singapore’s leadership
is the script Rwanda reads from. In terms of Rwanda’s Vision (which is owned by
the people, like our new constitution), the Kenya’s Vision 2030 is owned by a
small clique/elite. I hope one day we can have a truly people’s vision.

Given the importance of Lee Kuan Yew’s book, I decided [courtesy of Dada Wams]
to give as a small present two copies to my President and Minister (not Kenya,
of course!). After several months/years of searching, a bookshop at JKIA’s duty
free now stocks the book copies. Incidentally, a good friend of mine at CCK
[Wakili John Omo] who has recently picked a copy from the airport holds that a
couple of years ago, while in Singapore itself he couldn’t get the book as it
was ‘out of print’. Several times while connecting flights at airports in
Jo’burg, Amsterdam, Dubai, Hong Kong, Bangkok – and last month in various
Chinese Capital Cities – Beijing, Shenzhen & Shanghai, we had great difficulty
finding the book in any of the bookstores!

Finally, as Nd. Rogers attests, apart from a vision, a clear implementation plan
is necessary. For those of us striving towards the ‘third way’, one thing we
need ahead of 2012 is a sound ‘manifesto and economic blueprint’, akin to what
NARC had in 2002. Any takers? Let’s talk via private mail.

Warm rgrds,
Shem