[kictanet] APC is hiring: Project coordinator, “Internet rights are human rights”
alice at apc.org
Sun Dec 19 21:18:35 EAT 2010
Please pass on to anyone you think might be interested..
-------- Original Message --------
APC is hiring: Project coordinator, “Internet rights are human rights”
The successful candidate will join the APC policy programme to lead
APC’s human rights and internet rights work through coordination of our
“Internet rights are human rights” project. The candidate will have a
strong background in the human rights and internet policy fields and
have significant expertise in advocacy, capacity building and strategic
communications. This is a full-time senior project manager position key
to APC as we seek to strengthen our position internationally in the area
of human rights in the context of the internet and information and
The project coordinator will:
A) Coordinate the overall implementation of the project “Internet rights
are human rights: Monitoring and defending freedom of expression and
association on the internet”. Deliverables include:
- in-depth research and analysis of the trends, violations and impacts
on freedom of expression on the internet at national levels;
- development of various information products, awareness raising and
global and national policy advocacy in specialised spaces and processes;
- building capacity and support for rights defenders (particulary
women's human rights defenders);
- building sustainable networks of human rights defence advocates;
- designing and implementing a campaign that promote understanding of
'internet rights' as human rights and the importance of the internet as
a tool for furthering human rights
B) Manage and supervise contracts with project partners.
C) Manage and supervise the “Internet rights are human rights” project team.
D) Provide strategic vision and leadership for developing and
implementing APC´s human rights and internet rights advocacy and
campaigning, capacity building, networking and partnership building, and
communication strategies in partnership with APC team.
E) Represent the APC and build strategic partnerships in the field. This
includes frequent international travel.
F) Participate actively in the APC staff team and with members.
The person we are looking for will have:
- Extensive knowledge of human rights and internet policy and regulations
- Sound academic qualifications in a related area
- Experience in policy advocacy work in this area
- Enthusiasm for networking and be an inclusive network builder
- The ability to plan and think strategically
- Experience in project management (at least three years) including
people and budget management
- Experience and background in civil society networking
- Knowledge and contacts with human rights organisations, human rights
defenders, democracy activists and internet rights activists is an
- Excellent English writing and oral communication skills, including
public speaking experience
- Good writing skills and experience in writing reports
- Able to work in a team and under pressure
- Able to work independently and to manage people mainly via online
- Willing to travel frequently
- Competent computer and internet skills and experience in working in an
- Ability to communicate in Spanish and/or French is a distinct advantage
Remuneration and duration of contract:
This is a full time contract for an initial twelve-month period
(renewable depending on performance and availability of funding).
Remuneration is based on APC’s salary scale for the position for a
high-level project manager. Short-listed candidates will receive
specific information on the salary range on request.
Location: The incumbent can work from anywhere in the world provided
they have excellent internet access. APC provides an equipment allowance
but require staff to use their own computers. Extensive international
and regional travel will be required. APC is a truly virtual
organisation and does not have a physical headquarters. We do our work
online. For this position we particularly encourage candidates from the
How to apply:
Please send a CV and a covering letter in English that illustrates your
interest in the position.
You should include the following information:
- Your experience with human rights and/or internet rights
- Your experience in advocacy and capacity building
- Your experience in networking and partnership building
- Your experience in designing, developing and leading campaigns
targeting diverse constituencies
- Your background in project management and team coordination,
specifically in an international and/or online context
- Your experience or expectations around building the capacity of
activists for whom sometimes the subject area will be relatively new
- Your experience around building interaction between human rights
actors and actors involved in the access and use of internet for social
justice and development
- Your ICT policy experience
- Your computer skills
- Where you live
- Languages you speak and write
- Other information you think might be of importance to our assessment
of your application
- Three references: names, relationship, contact details; at least one
of these should be related to project or campaign that you have managed.
Please send this information via email with ‘Internet rights are human
rights project coordinator’ in the subject line to: jobs at apc.org
<mailto:jobs at apc.org> by January 14 2011. Please note only short-listed
candidates will be contacted.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the KICTANet