[kictanet] Cartagena Statement of the African ICANN community about the Support for new gTLD applicants

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Tue Dec 14 22:13:05 EAT 2010

Dear all,

As you are aware ICANN is meant to introduce  new gTLDs, however, during
the just ended meeting in Cartegna, various stakeholders continued to
raise a number of controversial aspects of the new gTLDs programme,
which include but not limited to geographic names, root zone, scaling,
economic analysis, malicious conduct, etc. The ICANN board resolved to
provide more time to  stakeholders to discuss and work through the
remaining issues.   Africa ICANN representatives remain very concerned
about thehigh costs for applications/process, which  is likely to
exclude those without the level of financial resources required, e.g
cultural and other non-commercial groups, among others  from benefiting
from the opportunities the new gTLDs  will offer.

Please see Draft Applicant Guide (DAG) book:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-rfp-clean-12nov10-en.pdfand
send in comments.

See Africa ICANN statement below.
best

Alice

Following ICANN Board's resolution 20 in Nairobi meeting whereby "The
Board requests stakeholders to work through their SOs and ACs, and form
a Working Group to develop a sustainable approach to providing support
to applicants requiring assistance in applying and operating new gTLDs ."

. We, members of the African Community, consisting of AFRALO and
AfrICANN, at the ICANN meeting in Brussels, jointly welcomed the Board
resolution 20 and expressed our gratitude to the Board members for their
consideration of the community concerns about the cost of applying for
new gTLDs that might hinder applicants, especially those from developing
countries.

.    We adopted a statement in which we expressed the expectations of
the African Community from the so-called resolution 20, which statement
was sent to the ICANN Board and the JAS Working Group which was formed
for the purpose.
In its retreat in Trondheim (Norway), the ICANN Board decided late
September 2010 that Support to applicants will generally include
outreach and education to encourage participation across all regions,
but any direct financial support for applicant fees must come from
sources outside of ICANN. It also decided that the fee levels currently
in the Applicant Guidebook will be maintained for all applicants.

.    While we welcome the decision of providing outreach and education
support to applicants who require assistance, we, members of the African
Community, in Cartagena express our deep concern regarding the non-
consideration of the fee reduction that we, and the JAS Working Group,
proposed.
. We consider that without application cost reduction, the developing
countries, and especially those of the African region, as well as the
disadvantaged communities willing to apply for a cultural, linguistic or
ethnic gTLD will be excluded from this new gTLD program, that the
resolution 20 wanted it to be inclusive.

. We strongly believe that assistance should be provided to the needy
applicants at the upcoming first round of application, and not at some
possible future round, because:
o Without assistance for applicants needing support, all of the most
obvious names, including IDNs, will be taken by rich investors, leaving
little opportunity to local community institutions and developing
country entrepreneurs
o Even if it is intended to open a second round, its date is at best
uncertain regarding the experience of the 2001's round.
.    We strongly support the milestone report of the JAS Working Group,
and look forward to the consideration of its recommendations by the
ICANN Board.
.    We are supportive of all on-going work as per the recommendations
of the JAS WG Charter.