[kictanet] Update on Pasha Centres

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Dec 7 13:10:36 EAT 2010

Andrea,
Just talked to the Govenor on this issue.  He says they have licensed 4,000 and are processing many more.  Some banks of course are more risk averse than others.  The Co-op Bank I know are working to develop their own DVs through their rural cooperative movement.  They only need us to provide connectivity.

Two other banks with extensive rural network are also developing their rural model.  Some 10 years Banksd ran away from rural Kenya citing cost in running "small" accounts.  Today they are trooping back.  I cannot figure out this but I suspect Prahalad's work on the bottom of the pyramid.  I am aware some banks may leverage on mobile coverage to offer innovative products.  Lending of less than 10,000 will common within the next few months.

From the recent UPU meet, it is made mandatory for each country to start working on the street addressing or GPS locationing systems.  Once this is done the Banks can safely lend.  This what Hernando de Soto's Mystry of Capital labours to explain.  A nother book that should be a mandatory read for all Kenyans.  And lastly you see why every mobile phone user needs to register.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®