[kictanet] Update on Pasha Centres

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Tue Dec 7 10:41:06 EAT 2010

Hey all,

I had a chat with a bank CEO recently who told me that the agency banking
regulations require that any agent has direct access to the bank's core
banking system - i.e. any transaction with the agent has to be reflected in
the bank's core banking system instantly, not a day later or so. This, he
says, means that the roll out of agency banking services will take a little
longer.

Has anyone on this list looked into this and the technical issues involved?
I'm sure that any bank's prudential management requirements would stipulate
a very rigorous vetting process for Pasha Centres or any other potential
agents.

Have a good day,
Andrea

On 7 December 2010 10:25, Paul Kukubo <pkukubo at ict.go.ke> wrote:

> Listers
>

> Ø  Kenya ICT Board will facilitate the establishment of digital access
> centers, to be known as Pasha Centres across the country.
>
> Ø  Facilitation will take the following form
>
> o   An Entrepreneurs will obtain a loan from Family Bank for up to a
> maximum of Kshs 3M to set-up or expand and existing digital access centre.
>
> o   Kenya ICT Board will provide a technical consultant to support the
> technical set up and management.
>
> o   Branding and communication support in order to manage the Pasha Brand
> and drive consumer interest and usage.
>
> o   Management of the Pasha Community portal to allow collaboration and
> knowledge sharing among Pasha managers.
>
> o   Continuous Training and skills development for Pasha Owners.
>
> o   Liaison with public sector and local and international content
> providers who may want to access the public through the Pasha network.
>

> Ø  *Pasha Centres will provide a variety of services that could include
> the following:*
>
> o   Internet access, including serving as wifi hotspot providers for the
> area.
>
> o   Training and educational material provision
>
> o   Mobile and agency banking
>
> o   Other retail services
>
> o   Money transfer services
>
> o   Government services
>
> o   Jobs bureau
>
> o   Supply chain facilitation including assisting retailers and
> wholesalers with IT needs
>
> o   Technology support centres for the region
>
> o   Tourism support
>
> o   NGO Liaison support
>
> o   Data collection for government, NGOs and private sector
>
> o   Business Process outsourcing and data entry services
>

> *The Plan*
>
> Ø  Monday 24th January 2011, public launch of Pasha Project.
>
> Ø  Target date for first disbursement of loan is 90 days from launch date.
> The disbursing bank will require 90 days to review applicants and conclude
> initial loan disbursements.
>
> Ø  Disbursements will be made to entrepreneurs who fulfill agreed
> conditions and don’t necessarily have to be among those that had received
> Pasha training prior. Kenya ICT Board in 2009 and 2010 had conducted
> nationwide 3 week training of 1000 people in business management,
> entrepreneurship, marketing, basic accounting and technical management (a
> starter-kit) to prepare potential pasha managers to run Pasha centre.
>
> Ø  The agreement with the bank is to ensure we disburse at least one loan
> per county within the year. Our eventual target is to have 210 pasha
> centers, one in each constituency by 2012. We shall asses the appetite and
> would not be surprised if the demand for loans exceeds our target.
>
> Ø  We shall encourage entrepreneurs to partner with the networks and any
> other organizations to beef up their business plans in preparation for loan
> application and to make their businesses more commercially viable.
>

> *Mechanics of disbursement *

> [...]

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>