[kictanet] Universal Access in Kenya (Is it really working?)

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Fri Dec 3 14:33:03 EAT 2010

Bwana Ndemo,

The mood on the universal access issue was that of "frustration" at the workshop, and no one seemed to be aware that " one operator has already rolled out 500 of these DVs" - is this information available within the public domain? Where are these DVs? Which operator? Are there targets and a penalty for the rest not rolling out given that this is in lieu of paying for UA -  which is a citizen right?

I can't agree with you more on the need to have young people bold enough to " take the appropriate risks to innovate and develop successful enterprises". I dare to add that we need "A new breed of young people" that will:-
* exude self-confidence;
*will demonstrate effective leadership with integrity;
*will have the ethos of community service;
*and will take risks, innovative and build mega businesses.

The issue of targeting the age of 15-29 years was prominent in the discussions at the workshop. Unfortunately, not many young people know that these funds exist or even how to access them (this was evident in a recent regional forum we organized on youth and ICTs and youth from Kibera and rural Kenya were shocked to learn of it!).

Indeed, the idea of the research work is to "emphasize evidence based decision-making" - the prominence and active participation of representatives from the Ministry of Planning, Poverty Unit and Vision 2030 was very welcome by participants! and it's our hope that some of the ideas that came out of the forum will be taken up. The PS challenged the academia to partner with govt. to do further analysis on the census data (which has now been released) to further explore the issues on ICTs and poverty (since ICT questions were quite prominent in the census).

We look forward to more information on the 500 DVs.

Edith