[kictanet] Universal Access in Kenya (Is it really working?)

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 10:36:25 EAT 2010

Fellow Kenyans,

What I found rather profound during the dialogue was Dr. Gituro Wainaina's
observation that we are doing badly in some of those poverty dimensions *not
because* we do not have national capacity (for broadband etc). Later on I
thought and realised that like Crystal, Pius and Edith are observing, the
Digital village and Pasha projects have remained merely on paper for the
last couple of years. I stand corrected but it appears these initiatives are
also pegged on yet another incomplete project - the NOFBI project (which was
somehow declared complete sometime in 2009).

Does anyone know how the implementers of the digital village, pasha and
NOFBI projects are fairing in government *performance contracting*. I get
this feeling the institutions responsible score themselves high on these
projects yet the projects' customers are still waiting for the services to
get to them. Sorry to sound negative but I think there is a general lack of
'*customer focus*' among our public institutions.

On a related note, has anyone had luck publicly retrieving *performance
contract reports* of government institutions?

Regards

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Crystal Watley Kigoni <
crystal at voicesofafrica.org> wrote:

> I couldn't agree more. We have spent years working on models that work
> for rural communities in Kenya only to face challenge after challenge.
> The sad part is that while the models were developed for Kenya and
> have limited deployment here and are in great demand by other
> countries.
>
> You can see examples of our work at www.voicesofafrica.org.
>

> On 12/2/10, Pius Walela <PWalela at strathmore.edu> wrote:
> > Dear Edith ,
> >
> > Concur  there is sufficient  human capital contrary  to Rwanda ,
> ironically
> > there is no actual  dissemination  of services  to the BOP....there is
> dire
> > need  to  hasten  the trickle  down   effect. However mobile
>  technologies
> > can  serve as a key  to  overcome  this challenge...
> >
> > Regards.

My Blog - www.gmeltdown.com
Keep on doing what you know is right ...