[kictanet] ICDL - I apologise(RESTRICTED ACCESS)

J.R. Kirongothi kirongothi at kasneb.or.ke
Mon Aug 30 10:46:13 EAT 2010

  Hi all,

  Thankyou for allowing me to join your mailing list. I wish to contirbute to the discussion above dated august 6.

  Robert raised an issue which is of concern across board i.e., to all other stakeholders including some trainers, which is: The standard of training in IT in Kenya. I recall a meeting with Dr. Ndemo and Mr. Kukubo and others which proposed a taskforce to look into the issue of IT training in Kenya. As Dr. Ndemo puts it, an examining body must exist to ensure the syllabus coverage and skills imparted before any certification. This way, any employer or other stakeholder is assured of quality when engaging a certified graduate. KASNEB mandate has now been expanded to include accreditation of colleges that train for its examinations. Consequently, KASNEB has established a directorate to specifically address issues of accreditation in order to ensure quality training. The mandate of KASNEB is to develop syllabuses, conduct professional and technician examinations and certification of candidates in finance, accountancy, management, information technology among other related disciplines, a task it has handled well since 1969 (as Dr Ndemo cites the preference of CPA over other foreign accountancy examinations).

  The taskforce Walu mentions, of which I am also a member, was appointed by KASNEB. This taskforce was never meant to create or replicate a local version of ICDL but to come up with an end user basic skills or minimum computer literacy curriculum that not only addresses local needs but is also globally competitive. The taskforce commenced by addressing and researching on “What constitutes minimum computer literacy in Kenya?” Armed with the findings, the taskforce settled down to work coming up with a content that was presented to the various committees of KASNEB as per the procedure of developing a curriculum. By the way, Walu must have misconceived a challenge in the Board’s perception because the Board of KASNEB has been very supportive of the whole idea including the electronic system approach, and even provided a lot of input at various stages of the development of the curriculum. (Alex, you were a member of the taskforce. You can confirm).  In fact, KASNEB is now in the final stages of the development of the curriculum, before releasing the content to a wider circle of stakeholders for their input. It is worthy to note that KASNEB is a service oriented, not for profit State Corporation and charges only administrative costs as fees hence the low cost Walu mentions. This supports Harry’s comment that money is not the issue and the concern of losing traditional income streams does not therefore arise.

  KASNEB is open to suggestions and positive critique and welcomes new ideas that are aimed at promoting professionalism in Kenya and beyond.