[kictanet] Safaricom Attitude - Consumer Issues

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Mon Aug 23 23:24:48 EAT 2010

Muchiri,

You're "spot on" w.r.t. your analysis.

However, service provision MUST be consumer-centric (non of the providers would have any business without the consumers). We have relegated consumer issues to the back burner for far too long...hence the unfortunate incidences that go unreported.

So, yes, indeed CCK has a role to play in protecting the consumer. Infact, one of their core objectives/responsibilities are quote "Protecting consumer rights within the communications environment" - It further states that " "The Commission protects consumers in three ways. The first is through the issuance of licenses that have conditions, which address various aspects of service provision by the licensees. Secondly, the Commission has introduced competition in various market segments in line with the government sector policy.  The third way in which the Commission protects consumers is by taking up certain complaints raised by consumers with the licensees with a view to helping both parties reach an amicable solution to the problem raised."

Further, consumers have certain rights and obligations. Someof the rights listed include:-

• The Right to receive information assistance to assist in use of the services.

* The Right to fair treatment without undue discrimination from another consumer

We need to bring these regulations to life and take some of these issues very seriously.

I must correct that Ms Bernice is NOT a customer service staff, so this is not a trivial matter. It's engrained in the institution it would appear. And must change especially as a dominant player.

Edith