[kictanet] electronic results Referendum system..

warigia bowman warigia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 08:29:57 EAT 2010

Wanakenya

I am very impressed by the IIEC and the handling of the referendum. Here is
a good article on best practices for electronic voting. It builds from the
american and australian experience.

http://www.softimp.com.au/Common%20content/White%20Papers/ETHICOMP_2005_Paper_MB.pdf

Rigia

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Harry Hare <harry at africanedevelopment.org>wrote:

> Wash, the law has to be amended to remove legal exposures to e-Voting.
> Especially the confirmation of the result which has to be done on a “signed”
> Form 16A assuming physical nature of the form. I am not sure how this is
> affected by the new constitution. Having said that the IIEC has this on top
> of their agenda, so I suspect come 2012, e-Voting will be in place. I think
> its in order to congratulate the IIEC and especially their Tech team.
>
> Harry
>

> On 8/5/10 1:21 PM, "Washington Odhiambo" <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Wamuyu Gatheru <wamuyulearn at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> Am not so sure that the system was a success. Over one third of polling
> stations failed to transmit electronically for various reasons including
> poor network (5,964 failed of a total of 20,750 polling stations). This
> would be chaos for a general election.
>

> Being the first time it was used on a very large scale, almost a replica of
> a general election, I think they have done very well. They now have the
> information required to fine tune the system for the GE.
>
> I had expected to vote electronically, but it appears that only the
> registration was electronic, where I registered, but I am not complaining.
>

> *African eDevelopment Resource Centre
> *eDevelopment House  : :  604 Limuru Road
> Old Muthaiga  : : P O Box 49475 00100
> Nairobi : : Kenya
> T +254 20 3741646/7 : :  C +254 725 650044
>
> Training :  : Research:  :Consultancy:  : Publishing

Dr. Warigia Bowman
Assistant Professor
The Department of Public Policy Leadership
The University of Mississippi
107 Odom Hall
University, MS 38677