[kictanet] One more day for edits-accomplishments of ICT board? Digital villages?

warigia bowman warigia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 20:08:43 EAT 2010

Dear colleagues

I have a reprieve

Can you please help me with final edits since I just had a baby. I still am
looking for a few lines on the importance (and accomplishments) of the ICT
Board. I found an April 15 article on digital villages, but it would be good
to know where the GoK plans to locate them.

Here is an additional paragraph I wrote for my conclusion based on what
Harry sent me.

*As this document goes to publication, Kenya has four cellular telephony
providers, Zain Kenya, Safaricom, Orange, and Essar Yu. This means that
competition is heating up in this market, but Kenya still is catching up
with its neighbors. **Accordingly, Kenyan consumers have continued to pay
sharply higher tariffs than necessary for mobile telephony. The lack of
competitiveness in Kenya’s mobile telephony sector is reflected in
comparatively high prices. On average, Kenyans pay more than most Africans
for cellular telephony, giving up nearly 24 percent of their monthly GNI for
mobile services per capita.**[i]** The most impressive recent achievement of
the Kenyan government in the ICT sector has been its participation in the
live marine Internet cable projects, including EASSy, TEAMs and SEACOM.
These have increased internet speeds dramatically, reduced broadband pricing
for consumers, and may reduce prices for mobile consumers.*