[kictanet] Should Kenya have a state religion?

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Wed Apr 28 08:08:30 EAT 2010

Dear Fatma,

You made me ask myself a pertinent question: "Is Kenya really a secular state?"

Almost all political and other leaders mix their religious convictions
with their statutory or political roles. From the President, his
deputies, coucillors, chiefs, Headmasters, etc religion is apparent in
their actions.

We also have different by-laws in parts of Kenya that seem to be based
on Islam, Christianity etc in various parts of Kenya.

I wonder if Kenyans should simply be asked to vote for a state
religion and make some provisions that accommodate the ''minority''
religions. We'd have a State religion and have provisions on law that
protect persons who do not profess that religion.

How palatable is that?

Wainaina

--
Sent from my mobile device

Wainaina Mungai
-----
http://www.bungesms.com
http://www.madeinkenya.org
http://www.wainainamungai.com

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life
of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by
being shared. ~ Buddha~