[kictanet] Who is ICT Board? Hijacked

Kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:27:29 EAT 2010

Esteemed Listers,

Prof. Waema's proposal to convene a gathering premised on the subject
of institutional frameworks is timely if not overdue. As dependence on ICT
increases in Kenya it will be critical to ensure that the rate of
technological dependence does not outstrip the rate at which institutional
frameworks are developing. Its fundamental to plan for policy as technology
evolves.

Going by the contributions from various listers, one theme rings out sharply
and with clarity. There is a patent call for some purposeful effort to
create an all-inclusive umbrella body that would enable the ICT fraternity
engage all relevant parties with ease and confidence.  As noted by Evans and
Waudo this subject has come up before in various designs. Unfortunately the
debate that always follows assassinates the key motion before staggering to
other issues. It’s even arguable that on certain occasions some
contributions are basically guided missiles hidden in words. The reference
to such by Dr Ndemo as “mchongoano” is extremely polite.

Beyond question ICT will dictate the future patterns of most economic and
social sectors. This requires a lot in terms of preparedness on the part of
ICT professionals and stakeholders. To achieve the basic thresholds of
progress we must work towards a more organized professional status. As
things stand our ICT institutional set up is more chaotic than the ever
maligned matatu industry fraternity who seem to have a better ideological
sense of unity.

If you ask an average Kenyan what their profession is they will easily tell
you: I am a lawyer, I am an accountant, a teacher, a doctor etc. Ask the
same question to an ICT person and you will be amazed at the surprising lack
of understanding.  There can be no pride in being part of a haphazard
profession. Incidentally the challenge towards a treasured and honorable
profession rests squarely on our shoulders as the affected people.

Some time back, working with some likeminded Kenyans we explored the need of
a sunshade professional and industry platform which saw the formation of the
ICT Association of Kenya (ICTAK) - www.ictak.or.ke. The resolve towards an
ICT setting that boosts the profile and gives pride to all professionals
remains our key driving force.

To achieve the highest standards it’s imperative that we pull together.
There are many ongoing efforts within the ICT sector but they are too
fragmentary to realize any substantial gains. Given the all encompassing
name and perspective of ICTAK we would be glad to make it available for
consideration as a professional/industry outfit that would be in the
parallels of ICPAK, LSK, KMA as Emmanuel suggests.

Since politics is an omnipresent phenomenon whenever matters like “uniting”
come to the fore, the questions of transparency, governance and imperial
tenures of officials warrant discussion. In our case we are fully at ease to
let go any dockets we may be holding be it that of President or Prime
minister as long as the vision for an elegant ICT profession is upheld.
Kamotho Njenga