[kictanet] Kenya's Safaricom says to test 4G later in 2010

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 09:58:34 EAT 2010

Very welcome...LTE or call it 4G will be very good for the last mile, we
need it here! We are speaking about insanely fast speeds … potential as high
as 150Mbps download and upload speeds as high as 50Mbps … about 100x more
bandwidth (much faster) than most 3G networks. Safaricom should go ahead and
test!

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Michael Joseph <MJoseph at safaricom.co.ke>wrote:

>  At extreme risk of responding via this list, I ask why should we not be
> testing new technology which might benefit both the Kenyan public and the
> industry? It did not say we are launching it commercially but merely hoping
> to do a technical trial.
>

> Certainly 3G is more than producing the results – that is why all of a
> sudden the other operators want to climb on board when 2 years ago they said
> it was not commercially viable.
>

> Michael
>

> *CEO*
>
> *Safaricom Limited*