[kictanet] Fwd: [Skunkworks] Do commercial web portals andsitesfall into Content Service Provider category?

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 23:45:46 EAT 2009

I'd like to share some thoughts and please note this is my techie opinion.
After reading the contribution about domains hosting etc, I'd like to
introduce into the discussion about some work that some of us have
been pushing through its incubation and testing since late last year. Though
I wanted to avoid listing it at the moment until ready, I think the issues
are no longer about simple things like domains nor mail hosting.

The next generation of services to come will be based on what is commonly
known as Content Delivery Networks. ( CDN ) CDN will be a platform that will
allow kenyans not a miss a moment of any important events in their lives.
Using the internet to deliver services like Live streaming and Video on
Demand, the stage is set for the next important development cycle in
technology for our sector. While not complete, it has taken many months of
various tests, setups and simulations to come up with a working model and
costs dynamics. but due to unavoidable reasons ( not technical ones ), I
expect the next few months to have something that will show case this. If
others are thinking along the same axis, that's brilliant and shows we are
much ahead than in the development cycle.

Please bear with the example below, which now deals with a real life event
that bring rich social content into people's lives :

- Imagine a wedding scenario where the wedding will take place in Nairobi.
You have very close relatives in Mombasa, Kisumu, The US, The UK and
Australia. To provide air travel or stay expenses would break the bank. And
those relatives who can travel are restricted due to employment or work
commitments. As the bride or groom, you wish they could be present during
your special event. Well......big problem!

Well, actually not. Using content delivery, they will be able to capture
their wedding live as it happens and stream it to any part of the world that
has internet access. So while the marriage event takes place in Nairobi, all
those who were not present can watch it on their computers in the UK, US or
Australia and share in the happy moments....

There are many applications to the technology and the social content that it
can carry. It all depends on many factors that make projects successful and
as innovations go, success is not usually a guarantee but a step towards
development. I hope serious providers will be looking into this, else we may
catchup to them. :-)

With Rgds.