[kictanet] Fwd: [Skunkworks] Do commercial web portals and sitesfall into Content Service Provider category?

Solomon Mburu solo.mburu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 13:09:00 EAT 2009

Just to quote from PS. Ndemo's speech during the EA-IGF:
*
"Our regulatory authorities must therefore ensure that process to accessing
broadband are similar and affordable across the region to allow access to
the internet for all our people"

"Internet is about enabling access to the world's information and knowledge
of the world's information, in all its languages"
"...localise the internet to preserve our cultures and knowledge, and to
share our knowledge with the rest of the world..."

*In my thinking, if the content is locally developed, for the local markets,
then the regulators, in this case, CCK, will have to formulate some policies
which are based on the existing trends so as not to alienate the communities
from accessing the internet, and allowing more entrepreneurs to showcase
their ideas.
At times, we find the local entrepreneurs shying away from competing with
existing, mostly international businesses, because there is no specific law
protecting them, thus leading to unfair competition. May be the CCK
consultations and regulations, will help in creating an avenue for
protecting local commercial web portals/ entrepreneurs from this
exploitation.

PS: If I'm out of context, in regards to this thread... apologies!

My views!
*
*
2009/9/21 Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>

> Thanks Bw Ndemo, we appreciate your proactive leadership and inspiration as
> demostrated by the response, Aki, that was an important question and we got
> the answers from the right quarters
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
>
>> Barrack,
>> Informal enterprise means outside of formal legal framework of enterprise.
>>  The standard threshold for moving from informality into legal small
>> enterprise is at 5 million in sales (KRA threshold for paying taxes).  Let
>> us not use the absence of law for not advancing our entrepreneurialism.  We
>> must constantly pursue enterprise as long as we are within our moral values.
>>  If we wake up every morning to check the legality of our actions, we may
>> never develop.  Laws are simply guidelines.  What matters most is our
>> intentions and and the values that we embrace.
>>
>> It is for exaple illegal to carry a rungu or panga in Kenya since the
>> British outlawed these as offensive weapons but the Masai indeed carry these
>> tools and it. Is perfectly correct within their cultural values.  At some
>> point we should correct such mischivious laws as well as the ones that would
>> impede enterprise growth.  As for CCK it must work within the legal
>> framework to avoid creating too many loopholes.
>>
>> Ndemo.
>>
>> Sent from my BlackBerry®

Solomon Mburu
P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!

blog: http://desires-and-dreams.blogspot.com