[kictanet] Invitation: 2009 EA-IGF, 7-9 September 2009, Nairobi, Kenya

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Thu Sep 3 10:26:19 EAT 2009

[reminder]: 2009 EA-IGF - http://www.eaigf.or.ke

Dear Colleagues,

The competitiveness of our economies is increasingly dependent on the
Internet and therefore mainstreaming our region in the cyberspace is of
paramount importance. The challenges to achieve the knowledge economy in our
region have been identified as:

* Access to Broadband (at the village, in schools, in banks, in
manufacturing);
* Cyber Security, Trust and Privacy (for banks, for the government, for he
individual user);
* Policy, Legal and Regulatory Issues (to make access to Internet available
and affordable, to protect consumers);
* Critical Internet Resources (to ensure the stability, growth and security
of the Internet);
* Internet User and Consumer Protection (to protect your online identity, to
protect your personal data, to guarantee your right to communicate and to
information and knowledge).

To address these issues at the regional level KICTANet, KENIC and other
participating organizations have brought together participants from the East
Africa countries of Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya. They will
be joined by delegates from the international community including the United
Kingdom (UK), Japan, the United States of America (USA) and Canada among
others.

The expected outcome of this will be a framework that ushers the region into
the digital economy. The outcome will also be a negotiating platform during
the fourth United Nations Internet Governance Forum (UN IGF) taking place in
Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, in November 2009, the African Information Society
conference in Addis Ababa in January 2010 as well as set the stage for the
37th Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) meeting to
be held in Nairobi, Kenya, in March 2010.

This is to therefore invite you as key Internet stakeholder in the region to
join the leaders to help formulate the strategy for the future of the
Internet.

Kindly visit the website www.eaigf.or.ke <http://www.eaigf.or.ke> to
register for next week¹s internet governance meeting: 7th - 9th September at
the Jacaranda Hotel.

Kind Regards,

-----------
Vincent Ngundi
Administrative Manager
KENIC - The Kenya Network Information Centre
http://www.kenic.or.ke
vincent at kenic.or.ke
[T] +254 20 4450057/8
[C] +254 20 2398036