[kictanet] Reminder: The Amy Mahan Research Fellowship Program

alice alice at apc.org
Tue Oct 20 02:02:04 EAT 2009

Apologies for cross posting

Dear All

This really is a great opportunity for an emerging researcher to get
some valuable support (each fellowship may be awarded up to €22,000 and
will have additional support through mentors) and either pursue an
on-going research program or kick-start a new research agenda.

The website for the Fellowship is very detailed -
http://www.upf.edu/amymahan/ - and provides a lot of useful material to
help candidates prepare their application. These include information on:

1. Eligibility - http://www.upf.edu/amymahan/criteria/
2. *Sample research topics* - http://www.upf.edu/amymahan/topics/ that
provide a sense of what types of research would be suitable for the
fellowship; and very importantly
3. A facility to submit a topic query -
http://www.upf.edu/amymahan/topic-query/topic-query_instructions.html;
which enables the candidate to check that their proposed research topic
falls within the scope of the fellowship.

It is however worth noting that the option of submitting a topic query
is only available until *30 November 2009*. Another reason for potential
candidates to begin to explore the opportunities/benefits of the program
as soon as possible.

The deadline for submitting applications is Midnight Eastern Standard
Time, *31 December 2009*.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions regarding
the program.

Regards

Abi Jagun
Regional Partner for the Africa and Middle East Region
Research Associate, LINK Center, University of Witwatersrand

(IDRC) and managed by Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain, in
collaboration with scholars from Universidad de San Andrés, Argentina
and the University of the Philippines. The Program is the capacity
building component of the Global Impact Study. It is named in honor of
Amy Mahan, a distinguished colleague and dear friend who was a member of
the Research Working Group of the Global Impact Study until her passing
on 5 March 2009.

 > The Program's objectives are to deepen and strengthen the capacity of
emerging scholars in developing countries to carry out rigorous research
in the area of public access to ICT, while simultaneously increasing the
availability of high-quality research in the subject area coming from
the developing regions of the world. The Program will award up to 12
Research Fellowships to emerging scholars from developing countries in
Africa and the Middle East, the Asia Pacific region and Latin America
and the Caribbean. Fellowships will provide research grant funding and
specialized "mentoring" guidance to enable emerging researchers to carry
out a new and original research study that addresses one or more
critical research questions regarding the impact of public access to
ICTs. Qualified researchers from developing countries in Africa and the
Middle East, the Asia Pacific region and Latin America and the Caribbean
are encouraged to submit their application in English, French,
Portuguese or Spanish, no later than Midnight Eastern Standard Time, 31
December 2009. For more details follow this link -
http://www.upf.edu/amymahan/