[kictanet] Internet Outage Tuesday Oct-13-2009

Mwangi Wamae mwangi.wamae at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:48:01 EAT 2009

Fiona and others:

I hope you're all having a nice Friday (Furahi-day?).  I appreciate the time
you put into responding to my query, however, I was not "crying wolf" --
what I noted as Waudo put it was "that a number of disparate users, having
disparate services providers, reported Internet outage at roughly the same
time".

I have received confirmation from two operators -- Wananchi and Safaricom --
that they were down for at least part of Tuesday October 13, 2009 due to
internal technical issues.  Al Kags mentions that Zain was down too.  The
Telkom problem that I experienced was due to a malfunction of their
equipment that is on our premises so we can disregard that.

It turns out that it was likely a weird coincidence that all these operators
had problems at the same time.   As Brian Longwe said, all I wanted was
COMMUNICATION from my service providers, absent that I take these disparate
data points and I assume that there is a general problem.  (Although there
is a very real question about how they can communicate with me if I have no
connectivity, but let's abstract away from that now.)

That said I have learned a lot about how Internet traffic is managed in
Kenya from this tread.

Again thank you very much everyone.

-Mw