[kictanet] Internet Outage Tuesday Oct-13-2009

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Fri Oct 16 08:56:57 EAT 2009

Fiona,

Thanks alot for the info..

Harry

  _____

From: kictanet-bounces+harry=comtelsys.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke
[mailto:kictanet-bounces+harry=comtelsys.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On
Behalf Of Fiona Asonga
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:28 PM
To: harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Cc: 'KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions'
Subject: Re: [kictanet] Internet Outage Tuesday Oct-13-2009

Hallo Conrad,

The Telecommunications Service Providers Association of Kenya set up, runs
and manages the Kenya Internet Exchange Point as one of the many services it
provides to operators. At the Kenya Internet Exchange Point we are able to

.         Monitor the levels of local internet traffic from connected
members,

.         Monitor downtime

.         Can generate reports of how long a particular operator was down
and whether the down time is as a result of equipment at the IXP or other
operator location (Downtime of an operator at the KIXP implies that the
local internet traffic is going out as international traffic then back into
the country therefore some delay)

.         Monitor user behavior in terms of what users are doing online
locally and periods when local internet is most used

We also provide shared value add services to peering members that translate
to a better experience for the consumer such as

.         Training members' technical staff on new peering standards and
international best practices (We have a hands on training kit from one of
our partners to facilitate this)

.         We have  recently introduced  shared online security monitoring
tools for all peering members courtesy of a renown global online security
experts

.         Peering members get global recognition to enable them peer
directly to other IXPs such as London and Amsterdam

.         We also house the .ke, .net, .com, J-root, F-root and I-root
servers or mirror instances

We currently have 28 operators, government departments running key services
online that require access by the general public and the Academic network
are connected at the KIXP.

You may contact me if you have any specific queries you may need answered.

Kind Regards

Fiona Asonga

Chief Executive Officer

Telecommunications Service Providers Association of Kenya/

Kenya Internet Exchange Point

14th Floor, Bruce House

Standard Street

Tel: +254 20 2245 036

"Industry voice in Telecommunications, Providing Policy and Direction

within the Industry and Government"