[kictanet] Consumer Protection - Safaricom

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Thu Oct 8 15:07:55 EAT 2009

I agree with P.S Ndemo.

We need to not only make reference to the  draft/proposed regulations but
also in this case the specific consumer provisions.

But while, the draft regulations have specific consumer provisions,
technological developments and convergence provide some challenges that
may not necessarily be fully addressed by the specific consumer provision,
so would offer to suggest that we look at all of the regulations including
e-transactions, etc. I also think we may need to think about additional
laws and regulations that are focused on consumer protection matters
generally and not only the in the ICT sector.

Best
alice

p.s: views expressed are personal and not a reflection of any of the
institutions/organisations I am affiliated with.

> Mr. Mwangi,
> The Government has published consumer regulations and sort comments from
> consumers.  How comes that you are not making reference to those
> regulations with respect to this case?  The Government can only deal with
> broad policy reforms not case by case.  We need your comments on the way
> forward.
>

> Regards
>
> Ndemo.
>

>> Wamuyu et al
>>
>> I've been reading this email trail and I too am surprised that we don't
>> have
>> anyone from the government making any comments. From the CCK, Ministry of
>> Information, CBK nor or esteem lawyers.
>> Last time I checked there was a division in the CCK that was created for
>> consumer protect the interests of consumers of communications services in
>> Kenya will be better protected, following the creation of a Consumer
>> Affairs
>> Division at CCK. The new division will be responsible for strengthening
>> the
>> Commission's capacity to discharge its consumer protection roles. The
>> creation of the division has been necessitated by the increase in the
>> number
>> of players in the communications sector, incidences of non-compliance to
>> licence conditions and violation of the rights of consumers. "
>> here is what there say on thier site
>> http://www.cck.go.ke/consumer_center/
>>
>> "The Commission also comes to the aid of consumers by helping them resolve
>> long-standing complaints or disputes with their service providers. The
>> Commission does this on those instances where the consumers have made
>> several attempts to have them resolved, but have either received no
>> response
>> or have not received a satisfactory response. The Commission is exploring
>> ways of assisting consumers that opt for litigation. You can get more
>> information, including the procedure for filing complaints, through the
>> useful links provided below."
>>
>> Cheers
>> Steve
>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Sam Gatere <sam.gatere at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Wamuyu,
>>>
>>> Very interesting Consumer issue you bring up. It brings to mind when
>>> Zain
>>> started off as KenCell they would charge you for topping up! remember
>>> the
>>> 40bob that you would have to part with when you load a Kes 300 voucher?