[kictanet] Africa's Absence From The Table

S.Murigi Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 20:33:28 EAT 2009

We are not yet as exposed as we need to be to compete a global level.
Wish more Kenyans could access the Microsoft and Google Tech High
Quality (HQ) educational videos - (a 1 hour HQ Video is about 1GB). Now,
it will cost a Kenyan (on the mobile networks we use) to stream or
download a 1 hr HQ Video the same as it costs Korean, Japanese or
Western students download or stream 60 (GB) to 80 (GB) HQ educational
(or entertainment) videos per month. The US, Europe and Asia do not use
expensive mobile networks for their large downloads (60GB-100GB monthly)
but ADSL or Fibre.

If Orange soon provides bandwidth of up to 1Mbs @ 4K-6K allowing monthly
downloads of up to 30GB to begin with - they will win the SOHO / SME
(data) market. If Safaricom builds their own Fibre Optic Network before
Orange styles up .... Keep and Watch your Safaricom shares!