[kictanet] Africa's Absence From The Table

Rad! conradakunga at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:23:08 EAT 2009

I was a judge at the Imagine Cup and I must confess that i was extremely
disappointed. The eventual winner was a contestant from Ethiopia that
developed a heart monitoring system that interfaced with hardware that
connected to a patient's chest via electrodes to measure the heart rate and
predict when a heart attack was imminent. It would plot the hearbeat on the
wearer's phone. It would then send the location of the wearer via his phone
through GPRS to the nearest hospital that would use the GPS coordinates to
map out a route for the ambulance to the patient.

Contestants from Kenya i am ashamed to say were presenting Library systems
and their ilk.

I was very taken aback at this disconnect.