[kictanet] The Premier B.Sc. Computer Science Programme in Kenya

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu Nov 12 13:46:10 EAT 2009

Dear Muthoni, Chris, Tim,
Let me join those hailing this initiative. As an alumnus of ICS
(albeit in the days when Dr Okello was still a dashing young
man!) I owe a duty to give some input to your request and will
certainly critically look at the syllabus you posted and revert
to you off-list.

In the interim I can only point out one general observation for
this list:  ICT graduates appear to be conspicuous by their
absence from the ICT Public Policy space. Maybe you need a unit
on ICT Public Policy formulation and advocacy which sensitises
graduates on things like how to identify and follow through with
ICT Public Policy issues. Internationally I have noticed that ICT
Public Policy engagement is dominated by lawyers and people with
legal background. In Kenya my guess is that it is dominated by
civil society colleagues who are not necessarily ICT people. Most
of the ICT people (some call them "techies") I come across are
avers to brush with Public Policy and yet policy inevitably
affects the way they discharge their contribution to society.

BTW how come there appears to be no data base of ICS alumni
contacts? I think you can build one and also think of an annual
alumni meeting, perhaps in conjunction with the annual open day.

Kind Regards,
Waudo
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:04 +0300, "Muthoni Masinde"