[kictanet] The Premier B.Sc. Computer Science Programme in Kenya

Muthoni Masinde muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke
Thu Nov 12 13:04:25 EAT 2009

Sam,
This is definitely great input to our curriculum review process.  I totally
agree with you; we  for example have cases of very bright students with
excellent system (software) development skills but who cannot market/manage
their ideas!  My colleagues are reading this and we intend to implement your
suggestions.

Thank you very much,
Muthoni

On 11/12/09 8:07 AM, "Sam Aguyo" <saguyo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> It is nice having this discussion, some of my thoughts are below.
>

> ·        The kind of Computer Science graduate the market needs; in terms of
> knowledge and skills
> You realize that this field really changes first i.e.  Languages maturing
> (getting simpler) by the day therefore a lot of hard coding will diminish.
> This leaves the students more with alignment of technology to business
> requirements. Considering this, it is of utmost importance for our
> institutions like UON to start modeling these students to be capable of
> interpreting the business requirements and what technology can provide.
>
> In my view, the current state promotes concentration on technology than
> providing business solutions (industry knowledge). The end result is having
> graduates who are detached from mainstream management and are therefore
> relegated to back office solution centres.  We would want to see the graduates
> rise to become CEOs of companies or illustrious industry entrepreneurs. This
> can happen when our institutions start inculcating in the minds, strong
> business principles. If you asked me i would include management and
> entrepreneurship in the the curriculum.
>
> ·        The kind of courses you would recommend to be critical for this
> graduate
> Universities are knowledge centres so any temptation to be like a reed that
> dances with the wind should be avoided. We may not have a curriculum that
> addresses all the industry requirements lest we start teaching <experience!>.
> The curriculum should be premised on the industry fundamentals, we had narrow
> band now it is broadband.  We had copper technology now we have fibre and it
> is bound to change, there is a danger in taking a reductionist approach.
> Sam Aguyo
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++

> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner
> <http://www.mailscanner.info/> , and is believed t o be clean.
> UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED
>
> The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
> its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
> from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
> Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.
>
> University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/

and is believed to be clean.