[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009: Closure and Way Forward Title: The feeling is right, but IGF is abit different, I think

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:28:18 EAT 2009

Blessings permit me to share your comments on a discussion we are having on
a list. Colleagues this comments might be helpfull

Yes, you are right James, people do spit out the words, but action has also
been done.

The setting up of the IGF is a follow up by recommendations made by the WGIS
which was set up by the UN Secretary general.

The IGF may "identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the
relevant bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make
recommendations," but does not have any direct decision-making authority[see
note 1]

This means that if people are able to spit out the words, then the IGF is
fulfilling its mandate.

The following are the activities that take place during the IGF: Workshops,
Best Practice Forums, Open Forums and meetings of the Dynamic Coalitions.

The main themes of IGF are: openness, security, diversity and access. A new
theme was introduced in IGF Brazil: critical Internet resources being one of
the most debatable topics in the IG field at the moment.

So you are also free to contribute on what is supposed to be done. That is
what the IGF is all about, a discussion forum. Then based on what we discuss
we can mae a decision.

I however, also note that there are hiccups here and there but all in all
there is tremendous progress.

Dr. Jeremy Malcolm has written a very good paper on "Appraising the Success
of the Internet Governance Forum" which you may need to read.[see note 2]

NOTES
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Governance_Forum
2. http://www.internetgovernance.org/pdf/MalcolmIGFReview.pdf

Author: Blessings Msowoya