[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009: Closure and Way Forward

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:20:53 EAT 2009

Well on the internet governance Forum, i am not sure whether there are
vested interests but purely from a knowledge and best practice point of view
i i would suggest that it proceeds to the 5th Session. I know many have
termed it as a talk show, however, this talk shows have fostered the spirit
of cooperation and diplomacy, maybe the forum should be given more teeth
under an appropriate UN agency, that notwithstanding i am curious to know
the position of insiders Mr Vice President Dr. Siganga what is your
position?

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:20 AM, mwende njiraini
<mwende.njiraini at gmail.com>wrote:

> Good morning,
>

> Welcome to the final day of the IG online discussion, 2009!
>

> The Internet Governance Forum is scheduled to be held for first time in
> Africa at Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt (http://igf09.eg/).  This presents an
> excellent opportunity to raise issues that are of importance to the
> continent, our region and country.
>
> Some of the themes proposed to be discussed in the upcoming 4th IGF and
> contained in *IGF-Programme, Format and Schedule for the 2009 meeting* (
> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2009/progpaper/ProgrammePaper.01.05.2009.rtf)
> include:
>
>    - Internationalization of critical Internet resources
>    management/Managing critical Internet resources
>    - Balancing privacy, openness and security
>    - Access
>    - Round table discussions: on the empowerment and protection of
>    children online, the accessibility for people with disabilities,
>    multilingualism and access to local content.
>    - Workshops: Access, Critical internet resources, Diversity, Openness,
>    Security, Capacity building and Development. (Workshop proposals:
>    http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/chronocontact/?chronoformname=WSProposals2009ListView
>    )
>
>  The forum will also provide an opportunity to discuss *Paragraph 76 of
> the Tunis Agenda* “*examine the desirability of the continuation of the
> Forum*”
>

>    - What method should be used to assess the impact of the internet
>    governance debate through the two phases of World Summit on Information
>    Society in Geneva, 2003 and Tunis 2005 and the 1st to the 3rd IGF?
>    - What do you think needs to be addressed in the remaining two IGFs?
>    - How can we as Kenyans, effectively participate at the 4th IGF and
>    translate the lessons learnt?
>    - Do you think that the IGF should continue after the 5th IGF?
>
> *You are encouraged to make your comment on day’s and any other of the
> previous days’ discussions*.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Mwende
>
> *Disclaimer: Views expressed here (except those quoted or referenced) are
> the author’s own*

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254733206359
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa