[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009, Day 7 of 10 - Data and Infrastructure Security

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 10:57:33 EAT 2009

My take and just to drive Mwende's Challenge on how ready are we - I just googled afew kenya sites that have gone online.  With intention to spread caution rather than fear, I have put some questions below each site.

Banking:
https://s2b.standardchartered.com/ssoapp/login.jsp
Qtn: How sure are you that the site you are engaging in is actually what it claims to be and not a hoax operating from someone's internet laptop in Mogadishu or Bungoma?

Customs Services:
https://forodha.kra.go.ke/
Qtn: This is the KRA eCustoms site. I still dont know WHY i cannot access it using my Firefox browser, though it works with Microsoft Explorer. In Security terms, this is known as discriminatory NON-AVAILABILITY of services.

Utilities:
http://www.posta.co.ke/
Qtn: This site seems to have gone home with the MD! Was trying to get their postapay service. Question is what guarantees do we have that as government services get online - they do stay online?

Education:
http://www.elearning.strathmore.edu/login/index.php
Qtn: Possibly the busiest educational site in sub-saharan africa. Question is, how sure are you that the assignment posted by the student was not done by the neighbor?

walu.
nb: Oh I 4got, Wash, plse check out Evans claim that KICTAnet passwords are in clear text. Otherwise I could log as the PS Ndemo and declare myself the newly appointed (coalition?) Government Cyber-Security Advisor!