[kictanet] Fw: Re: Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths and Weaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Luvisia Bakuli luvisia.bakuli at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 23:52:59 EAT 2009

Thanks LK for your observations. You sent the message to me and not the
list. I am not sure if you wanted this to appear in public; but I think
you made an important contribution that needs to be shared, for you
might be speaking for the "silent majority."

For that reason, I will whiteout your ID to share your message.

You are right, I should have used a better metaphor for IBM than
Godfather. Let me try a different one:

IBM is like a hawk on the Serengeti. From its vantage point, 20/20
eyesight, and ease of movement it is capable of monitoring what's
happening on the vast terrain. So what others in the food chain, e.g.
hyenas, have learned to do when the undergrowth is thick and the prey
(e. g. antelopes) too fast for them is to look up in the sky for signs
of where there is a kill. They have learned that if they follow the hawk
they hare sure to have food albeit leftover bones. And if they arrive
early enough and are in a large group, they might even chase the lions
away and inherit the carcass. Okay that's enough for the metaphor lest
we overstretch it.

But we might miss the point of the discussion if we focus on who's
first, leader or right. I have read articles where IBM failed miserably
in its bit to manage outsourcing for the state of Texas and history
might teach us a lesson that not all visionaries are good at execution.
So our major task might be to find the visionaries and if they are goofy
in their execution, ignore their execution but go after the lucrative
markets they have identified.

I gotta go. It is raining, thundering, and I don't want to be the
lightning's conduit to earth.

Cheers,

Luvisia Bakuli