[kictanet] Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths and Weaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Gakuru Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:08:38 EAT 2009

On The Rules of Journalism and nationalism, Jon Swift's Rule 3 "The
only exception to Rules 1 and 2 is that during wartime journalists
must be patriotic and not write anything that might undermine the
government or the war effort or lower morale. Wearing a flag pin on
one's lapel is a good way to demonstrate you are adhering to this
rule. Reporters should always remember that they are Americans first,
journalists second and human beings third."
<http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2007/11/journalism-101.html>

Contriving above, several have alluded that ours is a 'chaotic'
self-interest media whose journalists first writer for the (media)
businesses, next for own poverty eradication, a few professional
journalists, comedian radio broadcasters on sex-breakfast-talk-shows,
and finally, after kenya burns,,, as they become 'patriotic' Kenyans.
Why would Freedom House say they excercise self-censorship?

"Though individual internet users generally seem comfortable
expressing themselves freely online, mainstream media organizations’
online portals and their correspondents practice some
self-censorship..."<http://freedom4internet.blogspot.com/2009/05/kenya-igif-2009.html>

These things raise some legitimacy questions on otherwise honest calls
for "Sacred Press Freedom." Debatable, of course...

PS: I have attached "Why consumers are dissatisfied with the media" views.