[kictanet] Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths andWeaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Mon Jun 15 13:48:51 EAT 2009

Hi good people,
This is a wonderful day for me...to see so many echo the very foundation of
the Brand Kenya initiative and the principles that led to the formation of
Made in Kenya - that is, celebrating all good things Kenyan - Our People,
Our Products and Our Places. We digressed along the way as we were too small
to contented with the media onslaught of non-positive news.

Editions
I would like to disagree with Walu on the need for different editions. I
think the media should report non-positive stories (because it's reality)
but should instead highlight and prioritize positive stories.

Way Forward
To get the media to respond, then we need to convince big-budget advertisers
(Safaricom, Zain, EABL, NEMA (who always have a public notice in the press)
et. al.) to "prefer" media houses that play along with the branding
exercise. They may do this directly or through their advertising
agencies. Media houses live on adverts and the big advertisers can
positively influence the agenda.

Wainaina

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 6/15/09, bitange at jambo.co.ke <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
>
> > The few potential investors I met this morning are
> > distgusted with what  they see.  Allow me to request my brother Linus who
> > is  on this list to  remove the picture please.
>
> Bwana PS,
>
> Whereas I/we understand where you are coming from, you have to be careful
> that tomorrows headlines dont read " PS orders media website shutdown"...
>
> Maybe the media should explore having different editions of their
> publications, I mean truly we dont have to always washing our dirty linen
> all the time. But if we have to, lets at least keep it local.
>
> This headlines do cause panic even to Kenyan diaspora, so one can imagine
> what it does to non-kenyans...
>
> walu.

---
http://www.bungesms.com