[kictanet] Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths andWeaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Mon Jun 15 12:11:27 EAT 2009

Prof.
We should understand the impact of internet better.  Our papers are
on-line and they contribute the greatest content out there.  A potential
investor trying to surf the net, gets mostly negative information.  I am
not against our media but they could do better in setting the agenda.  A
few examples may help here.

It is not only Kenya that has suffered the youth bulge.  This is something
that has affected countries world over.  The US suffered in the 1930's
leading the country to get rid of the problem by investing heavily on
public works and the war.  In China they put much of their people into
labour intensive public works (roads, energy, ICTs ets).  While they did
this they also suffered a high rate of crime.  This is how the Al Capones
came up.  Italy has had a mafia crisis over a long period of time but the
media there did not only focus on crime.  They suggested economic
solutions that have helped reduce crime in the south go down.  When we
write about mungiki, we should also suggest a way forward.  We must also
create hope for our people because we are all responsible for what happens
in our land.

The recent US elections were all about hope that things will change.  Look
at the Uhuru Budget.  It was a budget of hope.  But read our yesterday
papers.  While one Media house attempted to create hope.  The other
focused on hopelessness - "the devil is in the details" - yet for once we
were united in hope for our future.  I had expected many positive
headlines out of the budget but I was disappointed.  This is a budget we
should have leveraged to create a new Kenya.  A Kenya where we all have
hope.  It gave us our much a waited new constitution.  That we can devolve
our resources based on the districts.  That we may not need to dismantle a
constitution that has relatively served us well for more than 40 years.
That we may need only Parliament to amend only the governance aspects of
our constitution as many civilized countries do.  This where media had a
chance to set the agenda for this country but they have yet again wasted
the opportunity.  It is not too late for them to bring hope.  The Vision
2030 can be achieved if we all agree that it will bring the desired
change.

I am glad we deviated a little but this discussion will shape our future
policies.  Where we all respect one another.

Regards

Ndemo.